The Ash Tree Learning Center Academy is an authorized private school, participating in the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Program (GSNSP). This program is a parental choice program for special needs students attending Georgia public schools and some private schools, who are served under an Individual Education Plan (I.E.P.)
An I.E.P. is designed to meet the unique educational needs of a child, by helping them to reach educational goals easier and learn more effectively, through tailored academic programs. The I.E.P. is not meant to qualify students for only special education classes, but to also participate in mainstream classes as much as possible. In this way, the student is able to have specialized assistance, only when absolutely necessary, and otherwise maintains the freedom to interact and participate in the activities of their general school peers.
Additionally, I.E.P. students can take advantage of smaller class sizes and student/teacher ratios, individual counseling, after school tutorials, and research-based Life Skills programs.
There is no application to participate. Scholarship amounts for students generally range from $2,500 to $13,500, with an average amount of about $6,000. A student must meet certain eligibility requirements to participate in the GSNSP for the first time:
- The student's parent(s) currently reside(s) within Georgia and has been a Georgia resident for at least one year.
- The student completed the entire immediate prior school year in attendance at a Georgia public school in either grades K- 12th.
- Student was enrolled and reported by a public school district(s) for funding purposes during the preceding school year, full time.
- A student is not required to have an I.E.P. for an entire school year to qualify. *
* The student must be served, at some point during the immediate prior school year, under an I.E.P. or the student must be reported as receiving special education services.
There are no exceptions to eligibility criteria.
If a student meets the eligibility criteria for the GSNS Program; a parent has the right to request a transfer from a student's current public school to:
- Another public school within their district of residence; or
- Another public school district outside their district of residence; or
- One of the three state schools for the blind and/or deaf; or
- A private school, authorized to participate in the GSNS Program.
Funds received through the GSNS Program can only be used to offset tuition and fees at a private school, authorized by the State Board of Education to participate in the program. Funds cannot be used to offset the costs of out of district tuition, charter schools, or other options available under the public school choice.
For more information, please visit the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Program at www.specialedoptions.com
Title I Program
The Ash Tree Learning Center Academy is an eligible school for the state Title I Program.
The Title I, Part A (Title I) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, as amended (ESEA) provides financial assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools with high numbers or high percentages of children from low-income families to help ensure that all children meet challenging state academic standards.
This program helps children to improve their proficiency in Reading/Language Arts and Math to help succeed in school. Also, children have an opportunity to work in small groups, where they will participate in special activities and will be provided instructional activities to help them in the areas that need strengthening.